A woman sits at a restaurant studying the menu with a furrowed brow. She has begun an exercise routine and knows that her frequent meals out could slow her weight loss results if she weren't careful.
When the waiter comes, this woman is still deep in thought over what to order. “What can I get for you?” he asks with a smile. She looks up and frowns, no closer to arriving at a decision. On a whim she blurts out, “I’m trying to eat healthily but I have no idea what to order. What do you think I should eat?”
The young waiter looks startled but quickly rattles off his idea of a healthy meal. “The eggplant and roasted pepper pasta is filled with vegetables. You could get that with a salad.”
The woman smiles. Yes, vegetables do sound healthy. So she orders the veggie pasta with a side salad and a diet soda, then sits back to enjoy a few slices of bread.
That’s a true story. Not surprisingly the woman was unable to lose weight even though she was exercising regularly.
It's believed that 80% of your weight loss results are from your diet, and the remaining 20% from exercise—so you can see how important it is or you to stick with a healthy eating plan.
Here’s Your Guide to Eating Out Healthy
Appetizers: Appetizers are a great way to start a leisurely meal, but can also quickly derail your good intentions.
- Anything fried. Fried foods are a favorite but will do damage that even the most intense workout won’t undo.
- Creamy dips. Are filled with fat and usually, come with something fried to dip in it.
- Bread. It comes smothered in cheese or seeped in butter, and even when it’s plain, it fills you up with more carbohydrates than your body needs.
- Green salad. Ask for very light dressing and no croutons.
- Antipasto. A plate of thinly sliced meats, olives and cheese will start you off with some protein.
- Lettuce wraps. These are delicious, protein-filled and low in carbs.
Beverages: Calories in drinks are sneaky because they don’t fill you up. If you don't feel full, you may end up taking in far more calories than you meant to.
- Regular or diet soda. On one hand you’re drinking corn syrup through a straw, on the other you’re drinking chemicals that cause you to crave sweets. It’s a no-win situation.
- Sweet cocktails. Many restaurants are advertising sweet cocktails –resist the urge. Sugar plus alcohol equals loads of unneeded calories.
- Sweetened tea. You may feel righteous for ordering iced tea, but if it’s sweetened, then you may as well be drinking fully loaded soda.
- Water. Don’t laugh! Water is the best beverage of all.
- Unsweetened iced tea. Don’t ruin it by adding that packet of sugar. Learn to enjoy its natural sweetness.
- Red wine. Stick to one glass, and drink responsibly.
Entrees: This is where the real damage comes in. When you order something carb-loaded you leave the restaurant feeling heavy and lethargic—you may not even realize this until you start eating better and experience the light, energetic way you’ll feel after eating a healthy meal.
- Pasta. I don’t care if it comes with a red sauce or white sauce, meat or veggies. If you’re trying to lose weight and maintain a lean body, then don’t order a plate of pasta.
- Pizza. This favorite is another dish that has far more carbohydrates than you need. If you’re craving the pizza toppings, then order those over a salad.
- Burgers. If you want a burger, then ditch the bun and the fries, and have your patty wrapped in lettuce.
- Lean meat and with vegetables. Fish, steak, chicken, take your pick and pair it with green vegetables.
- Salad and with protein. Ask for very light dressing and make sure you have a healthy piece of protein on it.
- Soup and salad. Stick with broth-based soups that contain protein and pass on the breadsticks.
If you want to expedite your results, then consider working with us on a functional fitness plan that will turn you into a leaner, healthier 50 plus-year-old.
Call or email today—We look forward to hearing from you.